Post Operative Information
Arthroscopic Sub-Acromial Decompression
- After surgery you will waken with your arm in a sling. This should be worn for comfort for the first 2 weeks only.
- You will see the physiotherapist prior to your discharge. They will show you how to release your arm from the sling and do specific exercises with the arm.
- You will be prescribed painkillers to go home with. These should be taken regularly as required.
- It is important to keep the arm moving and painkillers should be taken to facilitate this. There are no limitaions to your range of movement
- You will have a follow-up appointment at 2 weeks
- The stitches will be trimmed prior to seeing me
- We will also run through your arthroscopic pictures again
- An outpatient physiotherapy review will be arranged usually 2-3 weeks after the operation
- You should expect significant recovery from 6-12 weeks but will continue to recover for 9 months
Return to Functional Activities:
Driving 1-2 weeks
Swimming As pain allows
Golf 6 weeks
Repeated Overhead Activities 2-3 months
Lifting As able
Work Sedentary - As able
Manual - 6 weeks, may need to modify activity for 3 months